Dangerous advertising

Share things or chat about other subjects that don't fit in to the other forums.
Supporter
78 Posts

Post 12 Feb 2019, 23:31

They do deserve payment for what they do, no question, but not at the expense of our security and/or privacy. I didn’t tell them they were “using Adf.ly incorrectly,” I informed them that Adf.ly is one of the most corrupt and compromised services available, and that for the sake of their community they need to stop using Adf.ly immediately and find a better option. I believe Google has an adlink service now.
Supporter
17 Posts

Post 14 Feb 2019, 22:13

I agree 100% Mark. Supporter is only $6 a year. They more than deserve a little contribution for making a great game 1000x more playable with clean graphics.

Carnaxus, I apologize in advance for being a bit harsh, but I'm going to be honest here. You know it costs no small sum of money each month just to host this website? If they just suddenly stopped using Adfly/link revenue services, how would they pay for the website? Should they force you to be a supporter in order to download the packs? Or should they just use the money they use to buy food and go hungry for the month? This isn't "lining their pocketbook", they need a way to offset the costs of the server and not force users to foot the bill.

It sucks that Adfly allows shady and abusive ads to be displayed. But the truth is, a lot of websites use nasty ads and scripts as well, and many more spy on and track their users. Even Google is known to track you. To call Adfly the most corrupt, compromised, and privacy violating service is simply inaccurate and hyperbolic. I can personally tell you I've been to sites and tried revenue services that are much worse.

It's important for you to protect yourself from these nasty things if you desire to use website services and download things for free. It's an unfortunate situation, but that is what the free Internet has become. You have three choices: Pay the website owners directly for their content, tolerate annoying ads and being careful about what you click on, or, the smartest and safest option: Get yourself a good adblocker and a good hosts file that blocks abusive and tracking domains. Asking website owners to remove their source of revenue that costs you nothing is not an option.

It's unfortunate that your friend got infected with malware while downloading Vanilla BDCraft, but that's going to inevitably happen when you browse and try to download things without any kind of browser-level protection. I hope you took the time to educate them about steps they must take to protect themself, as I advised above, and most importantly, never click the "big green download button".
I'm wicked, so what?
Supporter
78 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2019, 03:42

Adfoc.us doesn’t have nearly as many bad ads as Adf.ly. The problem here is their apparent unwillingness to actually look around for a new service could potentially cost multiple community members way more money than the Sphax team is making off them clicking on the link. I have never once said I don’t think they deserve payment; in fact, that argument has only been used by everyone who has essentially said that BDCraft should keep using a compromised and dangerous service.

Yes, of course hosting a website costs money. Everything costs money. The moment it becomes clear the source of that money has become compromised by criminals, a new source should be priority one above all else. BDCraft is an actual company (more or less, I mean they’ve got job offers posted on the site) that relies entirely on their community, supporter or otherwise, for its income. Not taking the time to fix an issue that could cause said community all kinds of trouble is a great way to see your community desert you, taking what little money they have left after the hackers are done with them.

I want to make this absolutely 100% clear. There are no hidden messages in any of my posts. Everything I’ve posted on this thread is exactly what I mean. I have used and loved the Minecraft texturepack since I believe 1.2.5, and I in no way want to see BDCraft die. Everything I have said in this thread is intended solely to protect the community from the threats that Adf.ly ignores for whatever reason, and in doing so protect BDCraft as well.
BDcraft Web Admin
5711 Posts

Post 16 Feb 2019, 15:10

It's not an unwillingness to look around, it's the fact that most other monetization platforms all have bad ads and everything we've tested so far has really been no better than adf.ly.

Believe it or not Sphax and I dislike adf.ly, too. We have discussions frequently about moving away from it and we keep looking at other options. Hopefully soon we'll have an alternative in place.
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Supporter
78 Posts

Post 16 Feb 2019, 16:51

Bad ads are everywhere, true, but to the best of my knowledge only Adf.ly actively refuses to remove proven bad advertisements.

Seriously, Forge uses Adfoc.us, and my Malwarebytes doesn’t even blink, whereas it has an absolute field day every time I click an Adf.ly link.
BDcraft Web Admin
5711 Posts

Post 16 Feb 2019, 17:08

Carnaxus wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:51
Bad ads are everywhere, true, but to the best of my knowledge only Adf.ly actively refuses to remove proven bad advertisements.

Seriously, Forge uses Adfoc.us, and my Malwarebytes doesn’t even blink, whereas it has an absolute field day every time I click an Adf.ly link.
I just tried Forge's downloads via adfoc and most the time the only "ad" I could get was adfoc's own homepage (which would suggest there was no ad to actually display). Sometimes the ad space is entirely blank, but when I click "Skip" I'll get a pop-under.

So, people probably get few issues with adfoc because there's next to nothing going on 99% of the time, which would mean there's no revenue there.
BDcraft Admin
2180 Posts

Post 16 Feb 2019, 21:11

We are already investigating to replace Adfly for another service. This is moving a bit slowly because it's quite hard to find a good Advertiser, serious, secure et with a good fill rate.
In the meantime, simply use ublock or adblock for your kids.
Have you tried Cubik?
Supporter
78 Posts

Post 17 Feb 2019, 00:15

Sphax wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 21:11
Adf.ly gets all pissy if you use adblock and doesn't let you actually get to the final link unless you whitelist it, thus defeating the entire purpose of using adblock.
Supporter
1 Post

Post 18 Feb 2019, 00:37

I work in IT and it has become more of a security issue with ads than just blocking ads for no reason. I am always up for supporting websites by not blocking ads, but not at the risk of my security and privacy. Therefore, I always use an ad blocker. Not to "block ads just for the fun of it and not supporting the websites" but to protect myself.

I am very happy that these folks offer a Supporter membership and allows us to bypass ads for a small fee. I wish every website that depends on ads would implement a similar setup. PureBDCraft is my favorite texture pack for Minecraft and I can never play Minecraft without it.
116 Posts

Post 22 Feb 2019, 20:20

Carnaxus wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 00:15
Sphax wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 21:11
Adf.ly gets all pissy if you use adblock and doesn't let you actually get to the final link unless you whitelist it, thus defeating the entire purpose of using adblock.
Can not confirm this ;)
Use uMatrix und chose wisely what to block und what not ;)
I had never seen any ad on adfly. Realy never. And i uses Sphax since 1.6.

I realy Hope they will find an new Ad-Hoster, so i can give them what they deserve :)
(without donating of curse... i not one wo does this)